Thursday, October 26, 2006

bono's conducting my train of thought tonight.....

i've been driving SO's car all week, mostly because it has a cd player, and mine doesn't. (what can i say? i was unwilling to put up with power locks and power windows in order to get a sunroof and cd player. go ahead and call me stubborn- it's not like that's something i haven't heard before.)

anyway, i discovered monday morning that he had the cd below in his car, and i've spent the week getting reaquainted with bono. (no, this does not mean i'm currently sporting one of his rubber bracelets. i'm afraid i'm just not into that particular thing. i have a long history of being untrendy.) at the moment, i've got the chorus of "until the end of the world" stuck in my head. well, not quite the chorus- the part about trying to drown your sorrows...but they learned how to swim.

i consider myself pretty lucky- i'll admit it.

i mean, i'm not rich, and the chances of hugh hefner begging me to be in playboy are pretty slim, but i'm doing pretty well for myself, i think. i really like my jobs, not to mention the ability to go on vacation pretty much whenever i want. sure, it's unpaid vacation, but the bills are pain, there' money in the savings account, and i figure i'd be pretty foolish not to go out and explore as much as possible while i have the ability to do so.

the dalai lama hasn't promised me total consciousness upon my deathbed, but i know if i get my tail in a crack, there are people who care about me enough to come to my rescue.

i don't have any pictures of paris hilton doing scandalous things that i could sell to people magazine and make enough money to buy that stretch escalade that completely repulses me (don't even get me started on my thoughts about suvs....especially the luxury ones that obviously aren't going to be taken off the road...ever), but six people on here are sufficiently amused by my writings (which, added to the readership i can claim over on myspace makes.....twelve) to come back on a regular basis- even if i'm not blogging nearly as regularly as i used to.

actually, the first time i realized someone i didn't know was reading my ramblings, it freaked me out. i've since gotten more comfortable about it. in fact, it's sort of like the way i handle radio- when it's just me and a microphone, i can delude myself into believing it's just me and a microphone. then again, if my weekend gig involved being onstage in front of the portion of our state that our signal actually covers.....i think i'd have to wear depends. same goes for reading my stuff out loud. the theory also explains why that whole "stand-up comedian" career plan went out the window. how is it i could be young and fearless when i was little and did school plays and olympics of the mind and whatnot, and now the idea of being in front of a crowd of people and actually having to open my mouth makes me feel about as comfortable as an eighty year old nun sitting in an adult movie theater next to paul reubens?

thankfully, i never have to do that sort of thing.

bono's totally all over it, though.

4 comments:

Kal said...

Oh sure, rub it in. Carefree, secure, and more readers than me...

Anonymous said...

I am one of your unknown readers, I don't even remember how I stumbled upon your blog, but I think you're hilarious!!! Keep it up!

ghartstein said...

To quote Carl the Groundskeeper, "Gunga, Galunga." (...which is nice...)

duff said...

kal: i'm afraid i can't claim to be completely carefree.....

angela: aha! i wondered who my mysterious california visitor was.

thanks for the compliments. guess that means i'll have to come up with something entertaining to blog about this evening.....

mr_g: i knew you'd catch the reference. wonder if anyone else did.....